Monday 19 January 2015

Heavy legs under broad shoulders!

It's a chilly Monday morning in Limerick as I am reflecting on the past week's running and events. The making or breaking of this challenge is not in the Marathons itself. If I fail to finish 1 of them there should be enough races to complete the 12.

It's the weeks like last week where you train in the dark from Monday to Friday and put on the running gear even before many are having their breakfast while reading the paper on Saturday and Sunday. I wouldn't want it any other way. For me running is fast becoming part of a lifestyle and part of my week. I look forward to the runs (95% of the time) and enjoy doing them, even though it is not just for me anymore; it's also for those women in Africa who deserve the opportunity of getting help setting up their own farm in order to create a sustainable living for their families. As if I needed more motivation I hear some of you say. Well yes I do!

I'm cranking up the mileage to around 40/45 miles a week right now (that's the equivalent of running from Limerick past Nenagh to Roscrea every week) and that hurts sometimes. Like yesterday.

I had run every day bar Tuesday and had done my Saturday 9 mile run half a minute per mile faster than planned. When I woke Sunday morning I had very heavy legs, from 20 miles a week over the festive season to 40+ in 2 weeks was manifesting itself. Plus there was ice on the road and paths in the estate and I had a race in 6 days and the mood wasn't there. And I still had to walk the dog we are minding before thinking of running.



It is moments like this when decisions and promises made to the charity act as the extra motivator. The 2014 me would have stayed at home. The 2015 me did 10 Miles. Instead of the 16 planned, but still 10 done. With the words of Gerry Duffy in his brilliant book 'Tick, Tock, Ten' ringing in my ears: 'Control the controllables!'

I know it's my ego talking but I still felt a bit of pride in myself for going out. It is the responsibility and accountability that partly drove me to put my shoulders under my legs and make the first step. And that's all running takes, one single step!!

You can sponsor me during 2015 on http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015

Talk to you Friday when I will be within 24 hours of attempting the 1st Marathon of the Year in Co. Westmeath!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Is it OK that I feel slightly encouraged by the fact that you too struggle with the running sometimes? That's a bit inspirational in its own way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's OK. If everything was easy and without struggle, we wouldn't learn anything and make progress. Last year when reading about long distance running I cam across this pearl: 'It only hurts when you are doing it right'. Things like this make me push harder when the little voice wants me to quit! Happy running Roisin!

      Delete