Monday 30 March 2015

Back running (well jogging)!!

After a weekend that ended with high emotions as a result of Ireland's late, late equaliser in their game with Poland there was high emotions personally as well. 8 Days after my last run I tried again on Saturday. I knew the injury strain was not gone yet my mind had taken control and it was sick of waiting around.

The first 2 miles were really uncomfortable but not much more than that. There is a lingering pain but as an amateur distance runner I have grown accustomed to some pain and learned to ignore it while running. So I kept going and managed a 10K in 53 minutes which is averaging 8.30 min/miles. The thing with this particular injury is that I feel it afterwards. Cue grimaces in the shower!

And the mantra that keeps coming back. 'Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional'. And then the promise I made plays around in my head. 12 marathons in 12 months for Gorta Self Help Africa. Keep moving forward Patrick. There are people who would do anything just to feel the pain you are feeling now. Because it means they would have been able to run 10K. And they can't.



So I felt really grateful. Grateful enough to go again yesterday. I live near the 'Broad, Majestic Shannon' and there is a lovely 3.3 mile run by its banks that brings me all the way to the gorgeous University of Limerick Campus. So I thought I would run by that and see. I ended up going all the way to UL and back, covering 6.6 miles. The return was into a very stiff breeze, reminding me why the first half went relatively easy :) The strain is definitely still there and I need to be very careful but I'm back jogging. And that eases the mind.

I'm planning a further 10K tonight to keep me ticking over and I'm hoping to get the time to see a Physio later this week.

On another note one of my business sponsors is moving premises today. Patricia Irwin from Ring O'Roses florist is moving from Melrose Court to Kilteragh in Dooradoyle. All that's changing is the location so you can still contact them on 061-411321, info@ringoroses.ie or www.ringoroses.ie You can also check out the offers and promotions going with the move on the Facebook Page. I am asking for you to consider using the companies that sponsor my challenge!!!



Can I this week please ask to consider getting a sponsorship card from me if a)you are running a race your self or b)to collect a few € from your friends. I can send soft copies of information on the charity and the challenge to anyone that wants them. You can also donate on http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015

No comments:

Post a Comment