Monday 16 March 2015

Tralee Marathon Report or how 3 + 20 = 1 and a story about free 'tackies'.

What is it about Tralee? Is it in the mind? Is it the scenery? Is it the time of year? Whatever it is, I am trying to find out. Why? This was my 2nd time running Tralee International Marathon and my second time enjoying every minute of it when others said it was tough. Despite an Achilles injury I ran the entire 26.2 miles in relative comfort. Is it the Banna Beach Air? Oh, if only I could bottle it.

I also discovered a few things this weekend:
1- I prefer road to trail (for the moment at least).
2- I live my emotions and doing that is part of what drives me. The awe inspiring beauty of places like Banna Beach and Ardfert and Fenit made the running seamless even if the strong sea breeze was in our faces most of the time.
3- This one is not going to surprise those that know me. I can talk and run at the same time without loosing energy. In fact it made some Miles disappear as fast as Porter on St. Patrick's Day.

I had a very enjoyable race and time in Tralee even though every step was ran with the discomfort of the Achilles strain. A massive thank you to all the marshals and volunteers who did a fantastic job so we could run safely. Also a huge thank you to all the wonderfully supportive and beautifully bonkers people of Marathon Club Ireland (I am privileged to be a member), Kerry Crusaders (superb club) and last but definitely not least Born To Run Tralee (the maddest bunch in town) with whom I shared the gorgeous roads.

It was Marathon 3 of the 12 Marathons in 12 months for Gorta Self Help Africa. It was also Marathon 20 in my running career. And it was the 1 Marathon that made it clear to me that I was born to do long distance running. So to all math buffs that is how 3 + 20 can be = 1!!



Some people have asked me what can I do to help? And before I answer that I need to thank a bunch who already did. Verette Abetterme (FB name) runs weightwatchers classes in Limerick and Clare and was at my Coffee morning after an introduction by Roisin Meaney (thanks Roisin). Verette is most definitely a 'can do' person. Last week Verette asked to meet me for a Coffee on Friday and could I bring some sponsorship cards please. When we met she handed me a cheque for €200 to sponsor my next 2 pairs of 'tackies'. She had done a raffle in the classes and had asked for €1 for tickets. Thanks Verette!!! I will remember your generosity and that of all your members! :)



You too can help.
1- By donating €12 (€1 per marathon) on http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015
2- By running any race either with me or any distance anywhere by yourself and asking me for a sponsorship card.
3- By Corporate sponsorship or introducing me to sponsors. I will do a blog on this specifically on Wednesday so look out for that please.

So what's next? A 2nd event hopefully, training definitely and as it stands next race is the mighty hills and mountains of Connemara on April 12th for the Connemarathon where the weather decides the outcome more often than not :)

Whatever comes next, it's always Miles with Smiles!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment