Friday 22 May 2015

Nervous and scared! What am I doing??

That's how I am feeling right now. Last year I ran 5 Marathons in 18 weeks as part of the preparation for the 12 Marathons in 12 months challenge for Gorta Self Help Africa. And I felt I took it up a nudge that time. I was getting tired during longer training runs and picked up niggles and injuries. My 4th marathon of the 5 was Cork City where I slowed down to 4hrs42 and I didn't run under 4hr15 again until 2 months ago in Tralee.

12 months on from that Cork City run and I have done my first 5 marathons for 2015 in 14 weeks while running the last 3 all between 4hrs09 and 4hrs15. I'm now on the verge (starting the 1st of June in Cork) of topping that with 5 Marathons in 8 weeks. What am I doing?

What I am doing is challenging myself. I could have happily continued running 1 marathon per month and achieved the objective. I know I can do that now. If I mind my nutrition, sleeping patterns and training regime I have arrived at a stage where 1 marathon per month is feasible. My recovery periods between races have dramatically dropped to a couple of days from the previously customary 2 weeks.

Nowadays when I get comfortable, I get uncomfortable. You see, only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.


So there it is, 5 marathons in 8 weeks. Cork June 1st, Portumna June 13th, Waterford June 27th, Portarlington July 11th and Courtmacsherry with Team Hoyt and the Clon Crew on July 25th. During that spell I will go past a quarter century, my 25th Marathon being Waterford. Some of you might be in the know of my decision to run a minimum of 100 races that are Marathon distance or more.

What's next after the 5 in 8 weeks? Don't know yet. But I have an inkling that in 2016 it will involve Ultras and a Back 2 Back. More about that when it happens.

Meanwhile please lend me your moral support by donating to Gorta Self Help Africa on my charity page:  http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015 and by supporting my sponsor Ring O'Roses, Limerick's award winning online florist based in Kilteragh, Dooradoyle. www.ringoroses.ie 061-411321.

No comments:

Post a Comment