Monday 30 November 2015

Reflections as we head to West Cork this weekend for Clonakilty Marathon.

I think it was early 2013 that the idea came up to run 12 Marathons in 12 Months for Charity. I was getting in the comfort zone of running 1 or 2 marathons a year and had done 6 in total. That's an achievement by itself. Yet it was getting routine.

I continuously keep telling people to try and extend their comfort zones so practicing what I preach I went looking inside for a destination. It became 12 in 12 in 2015.

I went on a very pleasant and rewarding yet sometimes tough and painful journey, running 4 Marathons in 2013 and then setting out to do 6 in 2014 and ending up with 7. I was tired after the 7. The idea of adding 5 was daunting.

So I learned from the 2 years, adapted my training. Adapted my nutrition. Adapted my sleeping patterns. And poured an awful lot of love and energy into the event. I ran the 12th in Tullaroan in September this year and adapted the total to 16.

I have the privilege to run in this landscape on Saturday in Clonakilty!

It's November 30th today and in 5 days I will run Marathon number 16 for this year on the 'gentle slopes' of West Cork around beautiful Clonakilty. AND I have booked a 17th in Portumna on December 27th!!!!!!

I must say to my initial surprise that this year has been the easiest running year so far. Yes I picked up shin splints and dislocated a bone in my ankle along the way yet they became side notes during a fabulous year of running.

I have found a second family with Marathon Club Ireland, kindred spirits with whom I always have a wonderful time. I have ran with Team Hoyt and Team Kerr, two awesome and awe inspiring bunches of people. I have seen parts of Ireland from an angle you can only truly appreciate on foot. Two courses I remember particularly enjoying where Tralee and Connemara.

Running with Team Kerr and Team Hoyt in Courtmacsherry was the highlight of the year so far!

I have so much to be thankful for this year. Thanks to all who supported me and thanks to everyone for being there and being you.

This is not the end of the journey. It is a continuing journey. My intention is to reach the 50 Marathons total in 2016 (Clonakilty will be number 33).

My other intention is to run 3 or 4 Ultra Marathons in 2016. Something I haven't done before and that scares me. In a good way!

Right so, where's the map? It's road trip time. How do I get to Clonakilty again?

Miles with Smiles and have a fabulous week.

Patte xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment